De La Rue & Co
Founded by Thomas De La Rue in Guernsey in 1813, the firm became famous for its production of bank notes, playing cards and stamps. De La Rue occupy a prestigious position in the history of the Christmas card, they entered the field around 1872 and ceased publication of greeting cards in 1885.
Their work throughout is distinguished by a high degree of mechanical excellence and by a great fertility of idea, and one or two of the most notable departures in designs - the classical figures of nude children, for instance - can be traced to their initiation.
In 1874 De La Rue opened its new factory, in Bunhill Row, named Star Works, designed by architects Parr & Strong.
On the evening of September 11, 1940 as a consequence of enemy action during World War II the premises were burnt out.
|Albums & Scraps|
|Saint Valentines Day|
|Easter & Fairyland|
|Christmas & New Year|
|Home||Contact||Site Map||Links||Ephemera Events|
Copyright © 2015 Malcolm Warrington. All Rights Reserved.